Immediate Dental Care
Emergencies can happen at any time, but you can rest assured that when faced with a dental emergency, the team at Full Smile Dental has you taken care of. Our dentists provide immediate dental care at our offices in Dumas, Canyon, Amarillo, Farwell, and Dalhart, TX. Call one of our offices if you are experiencing a dental emergency, and we will see you as soon as possible.
Please note: If you are experiencing a medical emergency or severe facial trauma, go to the nearest emergency room.
Types of Dental Emergencies
A dental emergency is a situation in which you are experiencing severe pain or discomfort, or trauma to the mouth and face that has caused bleeding of the gums or fractured teeth. Other instances, such as chipped veneers, broken crowns or bridges, minor tooth aches, or lost fillings may be inconvenient, but are not emergencies. For non-emergencies, please call our office and we will be happy to schedule an appointment.
The most common types of dental emergencies include:
- Cracked or broken teeth
- A knocked-out (avulsed) tooth
- Severe pain in one or more teeth or in the jaw
- Jaw swelling accompanied by a fever, sour taste, and difficulty swallowing could indicate an infection
- Gums that bleed excessively, often as a result of periodontal disease
- Soft tissue injuries, such as severe bite or cute to the lip, cheeks, or tongue
Treating Dental Emergencies
Prior to arriving at our office for treatment, there are steps you can take to treat your injury until you see a dental professional. Contact our office immediately if you experience any of the above conditions and until you arrive for treatment, follow these steps:
- If your tooth is cracked or broken, rinse your mouth with warm water and apply an ice pack for swelling.
- If a tooth has been knocked out, handle it only with the crown, not the root. Place it in a container of whole milk or saliva and control bleeding with a cold, wet compress.
- For jaw pain, use ice packs to reduce swelling.
- If you have cuts or bites that require stitches, clean the area with water and apply a cold compress to control bleeding.
Treatment for these conditions will vary depending on the injury. A dental filling can restore a cracked or chipped tooth. Root canal treatment can alleviate pain caused by inflammation of the dental pulp. Dissolvable sutures or stitches will be placed to close any lacerations.
If a tooth has been knocked out, we will make every attempt to reattach it. If it is unable to be attached, we can replace it with a dental implant or discuss your other options for tooth restoration, such as a bridge.
When treating dental emergencies, it is our goal to ensure that you remain comfortable throughout treatment and that we help alleviate any pain. We offer a variety of anesthesia and sedation options and will discuss these upon your arrival for immediate care.
Emergency Visits in Dumas, Canyon, Amarillo, Farwell, and Dalhart, TX
Full Smile Dental provides exceptional dental and oral surgery care to patients of all ages. Our team of general and cosmetic dentists, pediatric dentists, and oral surgeons are committed to going beyond the standard of care for every patient. Each of our offices are equipped with advanced technology and accept many forms of payment and financing to make your oral health treatment more affordable. If you experience a dental emergency, such as a knocked-out tooth, chipped or broken teeth, severe pain, or facial swelling, visit our emergency dentists at Full Smile Dental for prompt treatment.
Experience the Full Smile Difference
Receive thoughtful dental care in a modern and comfortable setting. Our state-of-the-art facilities and expert team ensure every experience is made exceptional. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.