Comfortable & Safe Tooth Removal
Permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, but disease, trauma, and infection can occur. At Full Smile Dental, we make every effort to save a natural tooth, but sometimes a tooth cannot be repaired. We make the tooth extraction process easy and offer many anesthesia and sedation options for your comfort. Our skilled team of dentists will also explain your options for replacing an extracted tooth to restore your smile. Contact us to learn more or to schedule a tooth extraction in Dumas, Canyon, Amarillo, Farwell, and Dalhart, TX.
Do I Need a Tooth Extracted?
Dental professionals share a common goal of saving your natural teeth. Sometimes, damage or infection may be so severe that extracting the tooth is necessary to protect your other teeth and gums. You may need to have a tooth extracted if you experience any of these issues:
- Decay or infection deep within a tooth
- Facial trauma or injury to the mouth
- Dental overcrowding
- Baby teeth do not fall out in time
- Orthodontic treatment may require that a tooth be removed to create space for other teeth
- Wisdom teeth, or third molars, should be removed to prevent a number of oral health problems
Tooth Extraction Process
When you visit Full Smile Dental, we will likely take X-rays or 3D scans of your mouth to examine the bone and soft tissues around your teeth. In some cases, we can perform a tooth extraction on the same day as the consultation.
We will numb the area using local anesthetic. This prevents discomfort during the procedure. If you require multiple extractions or have more complex surgical needs, we may recommend IV sedation. We will discuss these options with you prior to treatment.
If a tooth is visible above the gum line, your dentist will use an elevator to lift the tooth and forceps to remove it.. This is called a simple extraction. If the tooth is partially erupted or impacted, or stuck beneath the gum tissue, a surgical extraction is necessary. Your dentist will make an incision in the gums to access the tooth, remove it, and place sutures as necessary.
We may place gauze in your mouth to control bleeding and provide you with instructions on how to keep your mouth clean as it heals. It is important to follow these instructions closely to ensure proper oral hygiene and prevent a painful condition known as dry socket, which occurs when the blood clot within the socket becomes dislodged.
Tooth Replacement Options
After having a tooth extracted, there are several ways to replace it so that you can continue on with a complete smile. We will outline these options, explain the benefits of replacing a tooth, and help select the right solution for you.
- Dental Implants. A dental implant is designed to replicate a tooth’s appearance and function. The implant post fuses to the jaw bone, similar to a tooth’s root, preventing jaw bone loss and providing full functionality. There are no removable parts and you can receive as many implants as you need anywhere in the dental arch.
- Dental Bridge. There are several types of bridges that cosmetically restore your smile. Traditional bridges rely on adjacent teeth for support or using dental crowns and can be attached (fixed) or removable. No stimulation is provided to the jaw bone, leaving you susceptible to jaw bone atrophy.
- Dentures. Full or partial dentures are removable appliances that restore the way your smile looks. They must be taken out during meals and cleaning and replaced every few years. They do not stimulate the jaw bone, leaving you susceptible to jaw bone atrophy.
- No Replacement. When a missing tooth is not replaced, nearby teeth can shift into the open space. Without stimulation to the jaw bone, the bone will deteriorate over time.
Tooth Extractions in Dumas, Canyon, Amarillo, Farwell, and Dalhart, TX
Full Smile Dental provides exceptional dental and oral surgery care to patients of all ages. Our team of general and cosmetic dentists, pediatric dentists, and oral surgeons are committed to going beyond the standard of care for every patient. Each of our offices are equipped with advanced technology and accept many forms of payment and financing to make your oral health treatment more affordable. Our dental experts perform quick and comfortable tooth extractions at each of our offices. We create a custom treatment plan to restore your missing tooth so that you can have a complete smile that looks and feels fantastic.
Experience the Full Smile Difference
Receive thoughtful dental care in a modern and comfortable setting. Our state-of-the-art facilities and expert team ensure every experience is made exceptional. We look forward to serving you and your loved ones.